A.E.K - History - A real story
THE HISTORY OF AEK (A REAL STORY)
Contribution: Sofoklis Sothriou
THIRD PART:THE FOUNDATION OF POK
From the first day of its founding AEK had the need to cooperate closer with Panathinaikos and Olympiakos so that slowly it could create the known today three. So in 1928 when the relationship of Panathinaikos and EPO was broken, the Athenian association was followed by simular movements from Olympiakos and AEK forming POK. The mutiny of the the three big teams resulted in their pullout from the championship of 1927-1928.EPO continued the championship with the participation of the rest teams when POK, owning Panathinaikos field organized several matches between the three and foreign teams. For the record the championship in Athens of that year was won by Atromhtos,in Peraus was won by Ethnikos and in the north Aris with final champion Aris.
In 1928 AEK achieved its greatest success since its founding. In March 4 won Panathinaikos 3-1. It also won Slavia 4-1, Venous-Sparta 3-1, but lost from Ouipest and Bratislava 3-0 and 4-3 respectively.
In the same year two players of AEK, Konstantinidis and Baltas not approving the movements of the association, left and joined the Goudi team. Also the team trusted its fate to the Hungarian coach Sbeg, a very remarkable coach that gave what the team needed. The mutiny of the three big teams continued and the next year which damaged of course football since the Greek Championship never took place. At the end of 1929 POK was resolved following an agreement with EPO but since the agitation continued it was not possible to hold any regular meetings.
AEK won over Panathinaikos once in 1929 by 3-1, one game came to a tie1-1 and lost in one by 5-2. The tie game was at the championship. A great time in the history of AEK was the win over Ouipest by 4-1, but it lost from Ferentsbaros by 2-1 and Pestergempet by 2-0.
IN 1929 H AEK HAD AT LAST ITS OWN FIELD. THE FORMAL OPENING TOOK PLACE IN 1930 BUT AEK HAD THE FIELD SINCE 1929. AEK's field has its own great story which is quite notable. We are in 1926 when, by initiative of I. Hrisafi, member of AEK and the Kentrikhs Epitrophs Stegaseos Prosfygon, actions took place in the Ministry of Pronoias so that it was given a place with a lot of treesin Philadelphia. The Epitroph characterized that area as a gym - to be of cource - for the children of the refugees. THE FIRST STEP WAS MADE. Children of the refugees were the players of AEK and of cource the area belonged to them.
But at that time the synoikismos of N. Philadelfias was growing and there was the risk, if the area was made a real gym to by occupied by the new settlers. Fans and players of AEK (about 100 people altogether) gathered one night at the face of this risk with shovels, axes and other tools and by working without stop under the moonlight cut all the trees. Then they formed the area in a shape of a football field. They also built a rock wall with whatever material they could spare from their houses and the rest of the area was closed by a wooden fence.
SO MAGICALLY A VERY BIG FOOTBALL FIELD APPEARED. Until 1930 that the openings took place it has completely formed into a regular football field. In 1934 mail K. Kotzias was interested in the field and the track and permanent chancellery was built. In 1945 the president at that time, Spyros Skouas and in 1946 Emilios Ionas almost closed the whole field with a wall. A year earlier, after a tour of AEK in Konstantinoupolis, from the money that was gathered the first part of the row of seats was raised. On that part in 1950 the big stand was built lenghted 63 meters. Before the end of that year and the association, having performed great savings, the stand's completion was realized that reached approximately 100 meters covering all of the one side. In May '52 the foundations for the new stand on the other side was set towards Kapodistriou str...AND THAT IS HOW, STEP BY STEP, WE REACH TO THE TODAYS' NIKOS GOUMAS OF 25.000 SEATS.
Following a small copy from an edition of "Athlitikhs Hxous" for the history of AEK of 1953 (Sports Library 3, Panos Makrides, "The History of AEK since 1953") dedicated to the story of AEK's field. "
...SOME TIME, WHEN THE YEARS GO BY AND THERE IN N. PHILADELPHIA A PROUD, MODERN, GREAT STADIUM STANDS PROUD THE PEOPLE MUST KNOW THAT EVERY METER, EVERY STONE HAS BEEN SOAKED WITH SWEAT AND BLOOD OF AEK's FANS AND IN THIS STADIUM THE HOPES AND DESIRES OF AEK IS SEEN TO CREATE NEW BIGGER ATHLETES THAT NOT ONLY WILL CONTINUE THE GLORIOUS TRADITION OF THE CITY BUT WILL EXCEED IT..."
The history of AEK continues in the pages of www.aek.com
back to faq page
If you have any comment on this page, please, send an email to
A service of the AEK Internet Fan Club
AEK Without Frontiers